Featured Speaker: Jacques Marcoux, Data Journalist at CBC News.
Jacques Marcoux is an award-winning CBC News investigative reporter specializing in data analysis. Previously Jacques worked as a multi-platform reporter for the CBC French network Radio-Canada, as a public relations officer in the agricultural industry, and he has also worked in competitive intelligence gathering in the financial industry.
Jacques' areas of interest include using various open-source tools for accomplishing geo-spatial analyses, database design and automation of complex tasks using Python. He is a frequent speaker and trainer at data or GIS-related events in Canada.
Jacques Marcoux holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the I.H. Asper School of Business at The University of Manitoba.
Presentation: Jacques Marcoux will talk about the practice and challenges of real-world Data Journalism; and outline the workflow and data analysis tools that CBC Data Journalists across the country have begun to standardize and operationalize.
Geo-spatial analysis and geo-visualization are prominent components of the analytics toolset for Data Journalists. Jacques will do a walk-through of some features of PostGIS (PostgreSQL extension for geo-spatial objects), with live demos in Jupyter Notebooks of GIS automation using GeoPandas.
Corporate sponsors of this event:
• DecisionWorks Consulting - https://decisionworks.ca
• Launch Coworking Space - https://launchcoworking.ca
* Important to know:
• $5 donation to cover for provided hot food, snacks, beer, wine, cocktails, coffee, tea, fruit juices and soft drinks.
• A door prize draw will be held.
• Free attendance for full-time students. Students are encouraged to join the Winnipeg Data Science Meet-Up Group and interact with the many professional Data Scientists and Data Analysts at this event.
Claim the event and start manage its content.I am the organizer