In this meetup, Armand Stekelenburg and Eric Michiels* from IBM will introduce you to Quantum Computing - discussing the basic theory, (potential) applications and how to get started yourself on any level in the software stack you prefer.
At the end of the Meetup you will know:
- What makes Quantum Computers so special
- How you can manipulate qubits yourself using the IBM Q Composer GUI
- How you can manipulate qubits with simple Python programs
- How you can develop applications with the QISkit library of algorithms
Not a requirement, but if you are interested to prepare for this meetup, please have a look at any of the following:
- Start manipulating qubits with the IBM Q Composer: http://ibm.biz/Bd2Bf6
- Go through the Beginners Guide to IBM Q: http://ibm.biz/Bd2Bf3
- Get started with QISkit, the open-source framework for Quantum Computing: https://qiskit.org (go through the QISkit documentation and tutorials)
- Introduction to Quantum Computing and IBM Q
- Demonstration of the IBM Q Composer
- Demonstration of QISkit on the qubit level, algorithm level and application level
- Optional: get started yourself (bring your laptop)
Armand Stekelenburg is an IBM Q Ambassador working with clients to get ready for quantum computing. Armand has a PhD in Applied Physics from the Delft University of Technology. After working successfully as an independent consultant in nuclear power engineering for three years, Armand started at IBM in 1997. At IBM Armand acted as a project manager or a consultant in multiple areas but mainly in process improvement and organisation change in large international application development and maintenance organisations. In 2016 Armand expanded his scope to include quantum computing.
Eric Michiels is Level 3 Open Group Certified Architect at IBM and acting as Technical Advisor for the IBM Partner Ecosystem. He has covered multiple IT job roles in his career in multiple industries such as Developer, Application Analyst, Database Administrator, Consultant, Instructor, Team Leader, Project Manager, and Architect. While Eric applies a broad perspective of technologies, his domains of deep expertise are Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Cloud and IBM Z. Next, as Master in Mathematics and Computer Sciences, Eric is extremely passionate about the Quantum Computing paradigm and is a regular assistant at Quantum Computing Workshops.
Welcome from 17:00 onwards. Session starts at 17:30.