(Bilingual camp taught in a combination of Dutch and English.)
NewTechKids has teamed up with OBA and Maakplaats021 to offer discounted NewTechKids' summer bootcamps. A limited number of subsidized places are being offered to kids from low-income families with a Stadspas.
Our bootcamps are part of the Midzomer Mokum initiative of the City of Amsterdam to ensure that children have access to activities this summer.
* * *
Theme: Robot Art
During this NewTechKids bootcamp of 5 daily workshops held at the Amsterdam Public Library during the summer vacation, kids ages 8-12 will channel their artistic expression by creating robotic art: sculpture, music, drawing, dance and more.
Kids will dive into building and visual programming using LEGO WeDo or LEGO Mindstorms and art supplies. They'll learn about design concepts (resources, requirements, testing, iteration, best practices) and computer science concepts (coding, algorithms, commands, loops, sequence, iteration, if-else logic, etc.).
During each class, they’ll discuss inspiring examples of technology before completing challenges in pairs and presenting their prototypes.
Children who successfully complete the bootcamp will receive a certificate of achievement.
Classes will take place daily from 10:00 - 14:00 on the following dates:
- August 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13, 2021
This bilingual camp will be taught by a native Dutch-speaking teacher with specialised training in computer science. The curriculum and workshops are based on NewTechKids’ pedagogy which focuses on concept-context learning and the use of tangible learning tools.
Our camp is ideal for children with no previous exposure to design and computer science and those who have previously participated in NewTechKids programs.
A morning drink and snack will be provided. Children are required to bring their own lunches, including utensils and cups.
A minimum of 12 students is required to offer this camp. Registrants will be notified 3 days prior if the camp is cancelled and a full refund will be provided.
Location: Openbare Bibliotheek Amsterdam, Oosterdokskade 143 in the Junior Lab basement (5-minute walk from Centraal Station)
Our programs are limited to a maximum of 16 children in OBA Junior Lab which is large and well-ventilated.
- NewTechKids has used AI-based software to design floor plans for the room which determine the spacing of tables and chairs, the location of teacher, etc. Tables and chairs are placed apart to encourage social distancing amongst the children.
- NewTechKids’ teacher checks the temperature of all children with a no-contact thermometer when they arrive for each class. Kids with temperatures above 38 degrees celsius are asked to return home.
- Kids are required to wash their hands when they arrive and there are multiple hand washing breaks during every class.
- Hand sanitizer is readily available.
- Children are encouraged to wear masks but this is optional.
- Our teachers stand at a distance from kids during class discussions and while explaining computer science and programming theory. They will use a microphone so everyone can hear clearly.
- Our teachers wear masks while helping kids at their work stations.
NewTechKids is an education academy in Amsterdam which teaches primary and secondary school students about technological innovation and its consequences, implications and ethics. NewTechKids develops computer science curriculum, lesson plans and teaching materials for children ages four to 12 and our programs are delivered online as well as during and after school and during school holidays.
Claim the event and start manage its content.I am the organizer