In the past 6 years Ian has been coaching Infrastructure and IT Operations teams to improve their ways of working using techniques such as Kanban. The common challenges faced across the many orgs that Ian has worked with include:
• What’s the best way to structure the teams within IT Service Management (ITSM) depts?
• How do we manage complex dependencies better?
• What’s the best way to balance business as usual (BAU) work vs project delivery
• How do we manage rapidly changing and often conflicting priorities?
• How do we improve visibility of project delivery to our stakeholders?
• Demand outstrips supply; how do we prioritise more effectively?
We explore how Kanban is extremely effective at addressing some of these problems. We also share with you other practices from the wider world of Agile Project Management to address the remaining issues.
As a bonus, we’ll answer the common questions ITSM teams raise during the adoption of Kanban:
• Do we need a physical board if we’re using a tool such as Jira? (spoiler alert: maybe not!)
• “It would take us longer to write out a card than to do the work” – how to handle high volume small tickets.
• Estimation: how can we improve estimation so we can provide our customers with dates we can be confident in?
This talk is specifically aimed at addressing challenges faced by ITSM teams. Many of the tools and techniques covered by this talk are just as applicable beyond ITSM. Basically, there’s something in this talk for everyone. Have your camera phones at the ready as there will be plenty of visual takeaways and practical advice!
About the speaker
Brickell Key Award winner Ian Carroll is a consultant, coach, and speaker on all topics related to Lean, Kanban and Agile software development. Using his 25 years of hands-on experience he helps clients transform their organisations using Kanban and other Lean and Agile techniques to lower costs while increasing their ability to respond to changing market demands and outperform competitors. Ian has trained and coached hundreds of software development teams in Agile, Lean, and Kanban techniques, and has broken new ground by scaling lean principles to the portfolio level and beyond.
Doors open at 6.30pm with the talk starting promptly at 7pm.
Pizza, refreshments, and Sushi will be provided as long as you check out our awesome sponsors:
• CDL - creating powerful partnerships (http://www.cdl.co.uk/)
• Ian Carroll - Lean & Agile blog (http://www.iancarroll.com/)
• Solutioneers - Boutique Agile Workshops & Coaching (https://www.solutioneers.co.uk/)
• RentalCars.com - Take a walk on the wild side (http://careers.rentalcars.com/?cor=gb)
• valtech_ where experiences are engineered (https://www.valtech.co.uk/)
Claim the event and start manage its content.I am the organizer