Want to learn how to code but not sure where to start?
Tired of techies throwing around acronyms that make your head spin?
If you are a complete beginner to coding and/or want to learn how to communicate better with your technical team/friends, this is for you. In this lecture/discussion class, we will walk through the fundamentals of web development in layperson's terms. While we won't be writing code, we'll take you through various components of the web and how they work together. Topics include but are not limited to:
• What is the World Wide Web?
• Where are web site files generally stored?
• What is the difference between a client and a server?
• Which programming languages are compiled on a server and which are parsed by the web browser?
• What do you need to know before building a web site?
• What language should you use and what are the differences?
• What tools do you need to develop a web site?
• Who does what on a typical web development team?
• What is the Cloud?
This class is for beginners with little to no technical experience. Bring a notepad, tablet or laptop to take notes. Bring your questions!
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Meghan worked in education for seven years before realizing that she could actually get paid to make flow charts in a User Experience career. She immediately jumped into learning about design and front-end development and ultimately changed careers in 2016. She’s now a UX Designer at Elsevier, a medical information and analytics company.
As a career changer, Meghan is passionate about helping others understand and navigate the tech world and possibly even change careers themselves. She is the Events Lead Organizer for GDI Philly so she is frequently found at GDI events but also enjoys traveling, Netflixing, and looking for the best margaritas in town.
• Girl Develop It welcomes all genders and identities to our classroom. By entering this group, all community members agree to abide by our Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).
• See our Assistance page for information on scholarships, laptops for loan, and other services. We'd like to help you benefit from our classes! (http://bit.ly/gdiphillyhelp)
• Questions about the class or want to Teaching Assist? Contact Amy Cliett at [masked]
REFUNDS AND WAITLIST
Refunds are offered only if the class is rescheduled/cancelled or in extreme circumstances. If you are no longer able to attend, please post your interest in selling your ticket in the comments. If you find a buyer, send a Meetup message to Amy with the name of the buyer. Do not change your RSVP in the Meetup event.
Unfortunately, GDI cannot offer a waitlist. If the class is full, please keep an eye on the comments to see if another student is interested in selling their ticket to you.
We aim to offer this class once per quarter. Timing varies based on teacher and venue availability. Keep an eye on our Meetup page for future class announcements.