NOTE: This class takes place on two days: Monday, March 12 and Wednesday, March 14 from 6:30pm-8:30pm.
What will I learn from this workshop?
• How data moves around on the web, and what is possible using a server
• What Node is, and why you would use it
• How to create a Node web server using Express.js to make developing a server-side app quick and easy (at least easier!)
• How to use npm (Node Package Manager) to install and manage dependencies in your Node project
Lecture and hands-on activity
PRE-REQUISITES AND TECH REQUIREMENTS
NOTE: We will not be offering support for Windows command-line, so students should either be comfortable in the command-line on their own, or use a Mac or Unix-based system. Macs can be borrowed from GDI if needed.
• Your laptop. (Note: a netbook or tablet is NOT a substitute!)
• Git installed on your laptop (Install here: https://git-scm.com/downloads)
• Text editor such as Sublime or TextMate installed on your laptop
• NVM (Node Version Manager) installed on your laptop - follow instructions here: https://github.com/creationix/nvm
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Pam Selle thought the Internet was basically the coolest thing ever when she was younger. She's now a professional developer/software engineer. Pam got involved with GDI because she thinks others should experience the fun of seeing something they made appear on the web. In her spare time, she speaks at conferences, writes, practices yoga, rides her bicycle, and is involved in many Philadelphia organizations. She blogs at TheWebivore.com (http://www.TheWebivore.com). Find her on Twitter @pamasaur.
Girl Develop It welcomes all genders and identities to our classroom. By entering this group, all community members agree to abide by our Code of Conduct ( http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).
See our Assistance page for information on scholarships, laptops for loan, and other services. We'd like to help you benefit from our classes! (http://bit.ly/gdiphillyhelp)
Questions about the class or want to Teaching Assist? Contact [masked].
REFUNDS AND WAITLIST
Refunds are offered only if the class is rescheduled/cancelled or in extreme circumstances. If you are no longer able to attend, please post your interest in selling your ticket in the comments. If you find a buyer, send a Meetup message to Jen with the name of the buyer. Do not change your RSVP in the Meetup event.
Unfortunately, GDI cannot offer a waitlist. If the class is full, please keep an eye on the comments to see if another student is interested in selling their ticket to you.
We aim to offer this class once per year. Timing varies based on teacher and venue availability. Keep an eye on our Meetup page for future class announcements.