This class is a 1 night event running on Wednesday, May 9th from 6:30 - 8:30PM.
Data, data everywhere, and not a byte to waste.... Database is the science (and art) of storing and retrieving data. As anyone who has tried to analyze data using Excel can attest, it is not as simple as it might seem.
Are you a developer (web or otherwise) and wish to learn more about the backend stack? Are you an analyst who would like to learn why your reports take time to build and run? Are you a business owner or hobbyist who'd like to design your own database system? Or, maybe you're thinking about becoming a database professional? If you answered yes to any of the questions above or are just generally interested in learning more about databases - this class will get you started.
No prior experience is necessary in this introductory course where we will dive deep into the foundations of relational database.
We will cover many intriguing topics such as:
• How do you choose a primary key?
• How do you slice your data into tables?
• What does it mean when someone asks if your database has been "normalized"?
• What is referential integrity?
• What is so special about an index?
What to bring:
• A notebook, a laptop is optional
ABOUT THE TEACHER:
Sondra Willhite has been a database developer for the last decade. In this role she is responsible for database design and builds front-end interfaces, and she has a hand in many other database related tasks such troubleshooting performance and creating business intelligence reports. She's also been a GDI student and TA, and is very excited to be teaching her first GDI class! Find her on Twitter @sondrawi.
• Girl Develop It welcomes all genders and identities to our classroom. By entering this group, all community members agree to abide by our Code of Conduct (http://www.girldevelopit.com/codeofconduct).
• See our Assistance page for information on scholarships, laptops for loan, and other services. We'd like to help you benefit from our classes! (http://bit.ly/gdiphillyhelp)
• Questions about the class or want to Teaching Assist? Contact Suzie at [masked]
REFUNDS AND WAITLIST
Refunds are offered only if the class is rescheduled/cancelled or in extreme circumstances. If you are no longer able to attend, please post your interest in selling your ticket in the comments. If you find a buyer, send a Meetup message to Suzie with the name of the buyer. **Do not change your RSVP in the Meetup event.**
Unfortunately, GDI cannot offer a waitlist. If the class is full, please keep an eye on the comments to see if another student is interested in selling their ticket to you.
We aim to offer this class twice per year. Timing varies based on teacher and venue availability. Keep an eye on our Meetup page for future class announcements.