This is an ONLINE event. Those who RSVP will get the zoom details the day prior.
Welcome Johanna Rothman!
Free Your Inner Writer: 6 Tips to Use Agile and Lean Approaches
to Write Fast and Well:
We know that agility works for product development. Can we make agility work for personal work, such as writing? Yes, we can. However, writing agility differs from product development agility. In this session, Johanna Rothman will introduce you to her agile approaches to write fast and well:
* Timebox your writing, so you write something every day to build and maintain your momentum.
* Scope box your writing, so you don’t write “all” of it, but make progress on something useful.
* Finish something as often as possible. (I aim to finish something at least three times a week. Often, more.)
* Cycle to iterate on the ideas. (Similar to refactoring.)
* Decide who your ideal reader is and write for that reader.
* Set the context for that reader with a story.
* Wait to edit until you’re all done writing down.
Please join us, and with any luck, we’ll do a little writing!
About our speaker:
Johanna Rothman, known as the “Pragmatic Manager,” offers frank advice for your tough problems. She helps leaders and teams learn to see simple and reasonable things that might work. Equipped with that knowledge, they can decide how to adapt their product development.
With her trademark practicality and humor, Johanna is the author of 18 books about many aspects of product development. She’s written these books:
* Become a Successful Consultant
* Modern Management Made Easy series: Practical Ways to Manage Yourself; Practical Ways to Lead and Serve (Manage) Others; Practical Ways to Lead an Innovative Organization
* Become a Successful Consultant: Advise, Influence, and Serve Clients for Mutual Profit
* Write a Conference Proposal the Conference Wants and Accepts
* From Chaos to Successful Distributed Agile Teams (with Mark Kilby)
* Create Your Successful Agile Project: Collaborate, Measure, Estimate, Deliver
* Agile and Lean Program Management: Scaling Collaboration Across the Organization
* Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects, 2nd edition
* Project Portfolio Tips: Twelve Ideas for Focusing on the Work You Need to Start & Finish
* Diving for Hidden Treasures: Finding the Value in Your Project Portfolio (with Jutta Eckstein)
* Predicting the Unpredictable: Pragmatic Approaches to Estimating Project Schedule or Cost
* Manage Your Job Search
* Hiring Geeks That Fit
* The 2008 Jolt Productivity award-winning Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management
* Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management (with Esther Derby)
In addition to articles and columns on various sites, Johanna writes the Managing Product Development blog on her web site, jrothman.com, as well as a personal blog on createadaptablelife.com.