Have you encountered a message that said something like this?
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xf0 in position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
Did you start dropping in .encode()'s and .decodes()'s at random as if you were playing whackamole? Have you ever wondered why we even need Unicode?
Unicode is not a simple topic, but it doesn't have to be complex either! In this talk, we will:
• Cover a brief history of why Unicode was necessary
• Understand Python 2's painful approach to unicode
• Understand Python 3's BETTER approach to unicode
• Learn how to solve common problems such as UnicodeDecodeError and UnicodeEncodeError
• Learn some best practices when upgrading Python 2 to Python 3.
About the Speaker
Anthony is a lead web developer for Stratasan, a health care analytics company based in Nashville, TN. Python is a passion of his in both his professional and personal life. In addition to that, he enjoys building things with micro controllers and writing about these topics on his blog. http://anthonyfox.io