All About WebVR
WebVR has come a long way since its inception in 2014: from a few experimental builds and demos, to an entire ecosystem today. Multiple browsers are shipping with the API, and tools, frameworks and file formats have emerged to support a growing community of developers. Join us for an evening of talks with the people that are making virtual reality a reality on the web.
Talk #1: Introduction
Speaker: Tony Parisi
Tony Parisi (@auradeluxe) is the co-creator of the VRML, and continues to innovate in 3D technology. Tony is the co-organizer of the San Francisco WebGL Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/WebGL-Developers-Meetup), and the San Francisco WebVR Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/Web-VR/), and a member of the Khronos COLLADA working group creating glTF (http://www.gltf.gl/), the new file format standard for 3D web and mobile applications. Tony is also the author of O’Reilly Media’s books on Virtual Reality and WebGL: Learning Virtual Reality (2015), Programming 3D Applications in HTML5 and WebGL (2014), and WebGL Up and Running (2012).
Tony is currently VP of Web and Open Technologies at Wevr, a virtual reality community and VR media player for aspiring and professional creatives.
Talk #2: WebVR API Overview
Speaker: Brandon Jones
Brandon Jones (@Tojiro) is a Software Engineer and has been working on WebGL as an implementor in Chrome since 2012 and as a hobbyist since it's inception. Now he's working on taking 3D content in the browser to the next level with WebVR, allowing developers to access everything from Google Cardboard to the HTC Vive on the Web.
Talk #3: React and Oculus
Speaker: Amber Roy
Amber (@amberroyVR) is a Software Engineer and one of the founding members of the Web VR team at Oculus. She is currently working on React VR, a framework for building VR apps using React. Previously she worked at AltspaceVR and was a leading contributor to their open-source SDK for creating multi-player web-based VR games.
Talk #4: A-Frame
Speakers: Kevin Ngo and Diego Marcos
Kevin (@andgokevin) is a web developer, based in San Francisco, on the Mozilla VR team (mozvr.com). The Mozilla VR team is focused on bringing high-performance virtual reality to the open web. He is a core developer on A-Frame (aframe.io), an open-source WebVR framework.
Diego Marcos (@dmarcos) is a developer in the Mozilla VR team since its inception. A-Frame came out from one of the multiple prototypes he made and currently evolves and maintains the API with Kevin Ngo. His obsession is designing tools that enable anyone to create content in VR.
Talk #5: Hololens and Microsoft Edge
Speaker: Lewis Weaver
Note: Price: $10 online, $15 at the door. No refunds. No ticket transfers.
We charge this small fee to help reduce no-shows. Please contact the organizers (sfhtml5 at gmail dot com) if this is a financial hardship for you.
• 5:00 PM Doors open.
• 5:00-6:30 PM Networking, wine tasting, cocktail, and dinner (gf/veg options available)
• 6:30-6:40 PM Introductions/Announcements
• 6:40-6:50 PM Talk #1: Introduction (Tony Parisi)
• 6:50-7:10 PM Talk #2: Web API Overview (Brandon Jones)
• 7:10-7:30 PM Talk #3: Oculus and ReactVR (Amber Roy)
• 7:30-8:00 PM Break, networking, drinks, and dessert
• 8:00-8:20 PM Talk #4: A-Frame (Kevin Ngo and Diego Marcos)
• 8:20-8:40 PM Talk #5: Hololens and Microsoft Edge (Lewis Weaver)
• 8:40-9:00 Q&A with all Speakers
• 9:00 Raffle!
* Contact the Organizers if you'd like to give a lightning talk.
** You must be present at the venue to qualify for raffle prizes.
Don't forget to bring your laptops to participate in the hackathon! Staff will be on hand to help you get set up with the tools you need for the hackathon, or you can pre-register by signing up here.
* There is bicycle parking in the garage below the building, but you must bring your own lock and leave your bicycle at your own risk.
* There is also street and garage parking. Check all signs for restrictions and fees.
* Smile! We are recording and photographing this event. If you do not wish to be included in SFHTML5 video or audio recordings or photographs, you can watch the recordings of all of our events at bit.ly/sfhtml5videos from the comfort of your home.
Cocktails by Alcademics
Wine Tasting by Grant and Marie Winery
Are you organizing All About WebVR?
Claim the event and start manage its content.Claim this event