Synthetic Intelligence Forum is excited to convene a fireside chat with Catherine Luelo, the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the Government of Canada. The focus of this discussion will be on "Keys to Developing A Successful AI Strategy".
Topic: The use of AI offers a lot of promise in improving the efficiency of service delivery in government, but there are also risks. It’s critical that the use of AI be governed with clear values, ethics, and rules. To accelerate the responsible adoption of AI, the Government of Canada released a Directive on Automated Decision-Making, which outlined the responsibilities of organizations in the federal government about using AI. This Directive, along with the Algorithmic Impact Assessment, help institutions to better understand and ensure the ethical and responsible implementation of AI. This discussion will focus on critical success factors and key performance indicators associated with AI strategies to accelerate value realization through the responsible application of Advanced Analytics and Data Science.
Biography: Catherine Luelo is a Deputy Minister at the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat and the Chief Information Officer of Canada.
Prior to her appointment as CIO in July 2021, Catherine was the Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer at Air Canada, where she was responsible for the Information Technology systems that support and enable Air Canada's global business. In this role, she additionally led innovation in the artificial intelligence space while managing the security and reliability of Air Canada's worldwide systems in an operational landscape that substantially shifted during the global pandemic.
From[masked], Catherine held senior management and executive roles at major Canadian companies, including Enbridge Inc., WestJet Airlines Ltd., and TELUS Communications.
Catherine holds an MBA from Athabasca University in Alberta and a BSc from the University of Alberta.
In 2018, she was appointed to the Board of Directors of scale ai, the Montreal-based Artificial Intelligence (AI) supercluster that aspires to increase competitive advantage for Canada globally in AI . She has also served as a Board Member for Creative Destruction Labs, as well as serving as Chair for Health Canada’s Industry Advisory Roundtable on COVID-19 Testing, Screening, Tracing and Data Management.
Catherine is a proud mother of two children and is a fierce advocate for mental health. In March 2020, she was appointed to the Board of Directors for the Center for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) Foundation and participates regularly as a panelist and speaker on Mental Health in the workplace.
Profiles of the host and presenter:
• Vik Pant, PhD - https://www.linkedin.com/in/vikpant
• Catherine Luelo - https://www.linkedin.com/in/catherine-luelo-60846332/
Web resources for technology in the Government of Canada:
• Digital Government - https://www.canada.ca/en/government/system/digital-government.html
• Strategic Plan - https://www.canada.ca/en/government/system/digital-government/digital-operations-strategic-plan-2018-2022.html
• Job Opportunities - https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/topics/information-technology-project-management/working-information-management-information-technology-government-canada.html
Join Synthetic Intelligence Forum online:
• Website - http://www.synthint.ai
• LinkedIn (Page) - https://www.linkedin.com/company/synthint/
• LinkedIn (Group) - https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12092618/
• YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/SyntheticIntelligenceForum
Special Thanks to our Partner:
• ET Business Services